Plan for Labor
Think about your birth environment, important paperwork, and the essentials you'll want to bring to help you feel prepared for the big day.
What do I need to bring with me?
- Photo ID
- Insurance card
- Important phone numbers
- Comfy clothing
- Nursing bras/Regular bras
Download Birth Plan for complete packing list.
Who do I want in the delivery room?
- Other family member
What paperwork do I need to fill out?
- Consent forms (if applicable)
- Insurance forms
What conditions should I tell my OB or midwife about?
- Group B strep
- Rh incompatible with baby
- Positive for herpes
- Gestational diabetes
If I have a vaginal birth, what requests can I make?
- To view the birth using a mirror
- To touch my baby’s head as it crowns
- For the hospital staff to help me with pushing techniques
- To be able to feel the urge before starting to push
What are my options for dealing with pain while in labor?
- Natural techniques (such as a bath or shower, breathing techniques, hypnobirthing techniques or massage)
- Regional analgesia (an epidural and/or spinal block)
- No pain medication unless I specifically request it